Governor Rick Scott Appoints LPD Detective Nick Marolda to Criminal Justice and Training Commission.
On July 25th, Governor Rick Scott announced five appointments and reappointment to the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission. Lakeland Police Detective, Nicholas Marolda, Jr, fills a vacant seat and is appointed for a term beginning August 2, 2013, and ending August 1, 2017. Detective Marolda has been employed by the Lakeland Police Department for 22 years.
The CJSTC is made up of 19-members consisting of various assignments to include municipal law enforcement, sheriffs, chiefs of police and correctional officers. Their mission is to ensure that all citizens of Florida are served by criminal justice officers who are ethical, qualified, and well-trained.
The primary responsibility of the Commission is:
• Establish uniform minimum standards for the employment and training of full-time, part-time, and auxiliary law enforcement, and correctional and correctional probation officers.
• Establish and maintain officer training programs, curricula requirements, and certification of training schools and training school instructors.
• Certify officers who complete a Florida Basic Recruit Training Program, or who are diversely qualified through experience and training, and who meet minimum employment standards.
• Review and administer appropriate administrative sanctions in instances when an officer, a training school instructor, or a training school is found in violation of Florida Statutes and Commission standards.
• Promulgate rules and procedures to administer the requirements of Chapter 943.085 – 943.257, F.S.
• Conduct studies of compensation, education, and training for the correctional, correctional probation, and law enforcement disciplines.
• Maintain a central repository of records of all certified officers.
• Conduct quarterly meetings to discuss issues and approve rules that relate to officer standards and training.
• Develop, maintain, and administer the State Officer Certification Examination for criminal justice officers.
The appointment of Detective Marolda attests to his professional competence, dedication to duty and his team-oriented accomplishments as he takes on this new challenge.