Twelfth Biennial Historic Home Workshop
LAKELAND, FL (September 29, 2015) – The Twelfth Biennial Historic Home Workshop will be held Saturday, October 10, 2015 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in the Ordway Building at Florida Southern College. Registration and refreshments begin at 8:00 a.m. The one-hour workshops will start at 8:30 a.m., and will be conducted by both local and statewide experts.
Workshops will be offered on a variety of topics, including:
- Creating a Maintenance Plan for Your Old House – Jodi Rubin, CCS Restoration
- Historic Masonry Repair – Angel Corrales, American Window Preservation LLC
- Insulating Your Historic Home the Right Way – Angel Corrales, MOHR Historic Restoration Co.
- Rehabbing Your Wood Windows – Steve Quillian, Wood Window Makeover
- Rescuing Old Plaster – Scott Sidler, Austin Home Restorations
- Designing Accessory Buildings: Outbuildings that Complement Your Historic Home – JoAnne Peck, Preservation Resource, Inc./ HistoricShed.com
- Landscaping on a Small Lot – John King, King Landscaping
- Fireplace Care and Safety – Chimney Sweep of Florida
- The Energy Efficient Smart Home – Kevin Jones and Rico Dunsmore, Energy Analysts, Lakeland Electric
- Let’s Building Something! Building Permitting – Dan Gargas; Building Official, City of Lakeland
- Don’t Be a Slum Lord: Landlord Management within the Historic Districts – Gene Lord; DART Coordinator, Lakeland Police Department
- Navigating the Historic District Design Review Process – Emily Foster; Senior Planner, Historic Preservation, City of Lakeland
- Code Enforcement and Property Maintenance – Brian Rewis, Community Improvement Manager, City of Lakeland
- Florida Native Landscaping: Plant Selection and Care – Bill Keon, Parks and Recreation
A free tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Usonian House will be offered at the conclusion of the Workshop.
Trade groups and companies that provide services and supplies for the maintenance and renovation of older homes may be represented in the Exhibit Area. Other exhibitors will include City agencies and various organizations devoted to historic preservation.
This Workshop is free and open to all interested residents. This is a great opportunity to learn about home renovations and to meet other people involved in preserving the architectural heritage of Lakeland. This event is sponsored by the City of Lakeland Historic Preservation Board, Historic Lakeland, Inc., Florida Southern College, CenterState Bank, Wood Window Makeover LLC and Publix Super Markets, Inc.
For more information, call Emily Foster in the Community Development Department (863) 834-6011 or visit our website at http://www.lakelandgov.net.