2017 LAKELAND CITIZENS ACADEMY:
A FREE INTERACTIVE PROGRAM WHERE CITIZENS OF LAKELAND LEARN MORE ABOUT THEIR LOCAL GOVERNMENT
LAKELAND, FL (January 4, 2017) - The City of Lakeland is in the process of taking applications for the 2017 Lakeland Citizens Academy. This interactive public information program encourages participants to experience City services and the functions of City departments through hands-on sessions for a true learning experience. This FREE program was designed for local residents and those that participate get a true behind the scenes look at their local government.
The Citizens Academy program consists of six (6), two (2) hour evening sessions beginning February 23, 2017 and runs through the first week of April. The program is limited to 30 residents age 16 and older. Enrollment is based on a first-come, first-served basis.
The 2017 Citizens Academy will be a great program starting with a tutorial on City budgeting and finance, followed by a historical overview of the community. During the 2017 Citizens Academy, participants will get to experience the tools of the trade at both of the City’s public safety divisions. Citizen Academy cadets will learn more about City Planning, get a chance to tour Lakeland Electric’s generating facility and get an inside look at future projects from the City’s award winning Parks & Recreation Department.
2017 SESSION DATES
- February 23rd - History & Finance
- March 2nd - Police Department
- March 9th - Fire Department
- March 16th - City Planning/Economic Development
- March 30th - Lakeland Electric
- April 6th - Parks & Recreation
The purpose of the Citizens Academy is to familiarize citizens with Lakeland’s City government. The program provides an overview of City Departments, explains the relationship between the City Commission and City Administration, allows an overview of the budgetary process and it provides an outlet for citizen involvement. This year’s class will also get the chance to preview the City’s new website and assist with valuable input that will help optimize the website for the best user experience!
SESSION INFO & REGISTRATION
Participants are encouraged to attend all of the sessions in order to get the most from the program.
- All sessions are from 6 pm - 8 pm.
- The first meeting will be held in the City Commission Chambers at City Hall, 228 South Massachusetts Avenue, Lakeland.
- A light meal is always served at 5:45 pm before each session, so participants are encouraged to get there a little early.
- Citizens interested in participating should contact Christina Camp at email@example.com to secure a spot on the roster. Please include a home mailing address and contact information in the email.