East Main Street has been identified as a collector street that could benefit from bicycle and pedestrian improvements for neighborhood residents that also provide connectivity to future facilities such as the Fort Fraser Trail. East Main Street has also been identified as an important route between Lake Mirror and Lake Bonny that could benefit from beautification enhancements such as landscaped medians. The Lakeland Community Redevelopment Area (LCRA) has partnered with the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) to implement the following improvements:
- Conversion of East Main Street from US 98 (Bartow Road) to Lake Bonny Drive West from the current four-lane roadway section to a two-lane roadway section with an intermittent turning lanes, medians and bike lanes.
- Construction of decorative brick crosswalks at the East Main Street/Ingraham Avenue intersection.
- Construction of landscaped medians to guide turning movements on East Main Street and to beautify the project corridor.
- Installation of decorative benches and trash receptacles at recently improved transit stops in corridor.
- Removal of traffic signal at East Main Street/Gary Road/Tyler Avenue intersection and conversion of intersection to “four-way stop” operations.