Home Based Business
If you are looking to start a Home based occupation please contact the Business Tax Office to verify that your home is located within the City of Lakeland City limits.
Business Tax Office
228 S Massachusetts Avenue
Lakeland, FL 33801
General Requirements for all Home Based Businesses:
- Only the person or persons maintain the dwelling as their primary place of residence may operate a home occupation.
- A home occupation may only operate within a completely enclosed structure. A home occupation may take place in the dwelling but shall not occupy more than 25% of the floor area of the structure or 530 square feet, whichever is less. A home occupation may take place in a detached accessory structure but in no case shall the total area of the occupation occupy more than 530 square feet on any one building-lot.
- No external advertising, external display of goods, or any other external evidence of any home occupation, is allowed except for signage in accordance with Section 4.9 of the Land Development Code.
- The outdoor storage of goods or materials is prohibited.
- No substances or materials may be store or used except as they would, in such quantity, be normal and acceptable in a residential setting.
- Home occupation activities may not result in any continuous, intermittent, pulsating or other noise or vibration that can be detected by a normal person off the premises.
- Home occupations are subject to the requirements pertaining to the parking of commercial vehicles in residential districts.