About the Lakeland Fire Department
The Lakeland Fire Department began as a volunteer force in January of 1909 following three catastrophic fires that destroyed numerous businesses, houses, hotels, and offices in the downtown area. On August 16, 1916 the City of Lakeland adopted Ordinance Number 201, which specified the organization of a full-time, paid Fire Department.
The department has grown to employ 149 personnel. Our department operates from seven stations and an administrative building, with a response area of approximately 80-square miles. We respond to over 16,000 emergency calls a year, with 87 percent of the calls being medical in nature. Our Fire Safety Management Division performs over 3,300 inspections, reviews more than 450 construction plans, investigates nearly 100 fires, and presents over 1,000 educational programs annually.
History was made at the Lakeland Fire Department on December 15, 2003 when the city converted from providing Basic Life Support (BLS) medical services to Advanced Life Support (ALS) medical services at Station 2. On December 1, 2005 Station 3 began providing ALS medical services with Station 4 converting in January of 2008.
On January 31, 2011, the Lakeland Fire Department expanded its Advanced Life Support (ALS) program to cover all areas within the city of Lakeland. Through a partnership with Polk County Emergency Medical Services (PCEMS) and under the medical direction of Greg White, M.D., the Lakeland Fire Department personnel are trained to the same level and use the same treatment standards as PCEMS. This will ensure that during an emergency, regardless of which agency arrives on scene first, citizens of Lakeland can expect the highest quality of prehospital care available. However, PCEMS will continue to transport patients.