City Home  > Library Special Collections >Manuscripts > Businesses > First Federal Savings
  Search

FIRST FEDERAL SAVINGS & LOAN ASSOCIATION OF LAKELAND, RG05-1, 1934-2002

Scope and Content Note

The First Federal Savings & Loan Association of Lakeland was established January 1, 1934 and opened February 13, 1934 at 205 East Lemon Street. It moved into a new building at 227 South Kentucky Ave. The first branch opened in the Grove Park Shopping Center in April of 1961 followed by four additional branches.
First Federal of Lakeland changed its name to First Federal Savings & Loan Association of Florida June 23, 1982 then to FloridaFirst Bank (Florida First Bancorp) August 24,1999. SouthTrust Corp. acquired FloridaFirst in July 2004.

The materials in this collection give the history of the institution from 1934 through 2002 mainly through newspaper clippings and financial statements. Some of the ephemera was provided by Willmarie Parrett, an employee of the bank for 49 years, from 1955 to 2004.

BOX

FOLDER

FOLDER TITLE

DATES

1

1

Charter & By-laws and History

1934-2002

 

2

Correspondence

1955-64, n.d.

 

3

Ephemera (Handbook and Yearbook)

1956-89

Album

1

Financial Statements

1934-2002

Folder

1

Photograph of William R. Mc Cranie

n.d.

 

2

Newspaper Articles

1934-95

Scrapbook

1

Newspaper Articles

1958-64

 

2

Newspaper Articles about the Downtown Mall

1987-89