City Home  > Library Special Collections >Manuscripts > City of Lakeland > Lakeland Public Library
  Search

LAKELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY, RG400, 1926-2009

Scope and Content Note

The Lakeland Public Library opened in January 1927 on the shores of Lake Morton. Prior to that time the Woman's Club, organized in 1912, maintained a library city residents could use. The city purchased land, formerly used as a campground for Spanish-American War soldiers, from Herbert Munn. There were three librarians from 1927 to 1929 when Serena C. Bailey began a thirty year career as Librarian. In 1955, to honor its former Mayor, Governor of Florida and U.S. Senator, the Library was renamed the Park Trammell Public Library. A new building was built in 1966 farther to the east on the lake on the property of the former Lake Morton Elementary School. This building was then enlarged in 1986.

From 1934 to 1937 library service was provided for the black residents at Washington Park High School. In October 1937, a branch library was opened at North Virginia Ave. and was run by Elsie Dunbar. The branch occupied several other buildings until a new building, The Larry R. Jackson Branch Library, was built and opened in January 1995.

These records are divided into eight series. Records of the Friends of the Library are found in RG2610, under Organizations.

Series I, Subject Files (1929-2003), contains the history of the various buildings, departments and staff, programs offered, and brochures and other ephemera.

Series II, Building Plans for the Main Library (1957-96), contains the records from the need for a new building to the Dedication Ceremonies for the building on Lake Morton and its expansion.

Series III, Building Plans for the Branch Library (1984-96) contains the records of the construction of the Larry R. Jackson Branch Library on N. Florida Ave. (U.S. 98 North), Lakeland.

Series IV: Financial Records (1962-2002), contains mainly operating budgets for the Library.

Series V, Reports (1953-2003), contains annual and monthly reports from the various departments of the Library.

Series VI, Solinet Interlibrary Loan Grant (1985-89), contains information about the Solinet system, contracts, and grants.

Series VII, Photographs (1926-94), of the various buildings and staff are contained in this series as well as photographic albums P199-P204.

Series VIII, Video Tapes (1987-96), pertains to Library activities and staff.

Series IX, Renovation/Expansion of  the Main Library (2001-06), contians materials relating to the expansion of the Special Collections Room, the renovation of the Circulation Department, and the expansion of the Children and Young Adult areas.