City Home  > Library Special Collections >Manuscripts > Fine Arts > Lakeland Art Guild

RECORDS OF THE LAKELAND ART GUILD, RG01-4, 1956-2002

Scope and Content Note

The Lakeland Art Guild was established in 1952 and incorporated in 1956. Winnie Selhimer and Mary Carter, both artists and teachers, formed the guild to give artists a place to share their knowledge and exhibit their work. Joker Marchant, director of the Park and Recreation Department, arranged for the group to meet in Tigertown. In 1994 the Guild moved to the Magnolia Building. The guild has a show every November and an annual juried show at Florida Southern College. They host classes, workshops, and demonstrations and award a college scholarship to a high school senior pursuing fine arts.

The collection consists of 21 scrapbooks from 1962 to 2001, which contain photographs, membership directories, newsletters, newspaper articles, and exhibit bulletins. There are also a book of minutes and budget reports from 1992 to 1997, a book: Horses' Heads by Don Schwartz, and a box of records described below.

 

BOX FOLDER FOLDER TITLE DATES

1

1

By-laws and Charter

1958 - 1978

      

2

Misc., agendas, schedules, newsletter, clippings

1956 - 1959

    

3

Misc., agenda, project, etc.

1977

     

4

Officers and Yearbook

2000 - 2002