Scope and Content Note
Park Trammell Building, home to the Chamber of Commerce
Lakeland was incorporated in 1885 on 80 acres of land bought by Abraham Godwin Munn in 1882. The Lakeland Board of Trade, predecessor to the Chamber, was established in 1897. By 1912 the Lakeland Chamber of Commerce came into existence and was formally chartered in 1921. In 1914, it was the Chamber's Secretary, A.J. Holworthy, who led the drive for public street lights. The early Chamber backed other civic improvements including schools, water and electric service, and the construction of a fire department and hospital. T.J. Appleyard promoted the idea of a civic center. It took five years, but in 1928 the beautiful Lake Mirror Promenade was completed. The Chamber has continued to work to improve Lakeland's economy and services.
The Lakeland Chamber of Commerce moved into its present building, The Park Trammell Building on Lake Morton in 1966. The building was the former home of the Lakeland Public Library.
The records include early minutes on microfilm from 1923 - 1929; records from the Beautification Committee, 1961 - 1967; the 75th Anniversary Planning Committee records, which include the history of the Chamber, 1995-1996; and other records including "Leadership Lakeland." Tourism Brochures are located in the City of Lakeland Ephemera Collection (RG100, Box 1). Click here to view a selection of vintage Lakeland promotional brochures.