Scope and Content Note
Lakeland High School built in 1902
Before the first Lakeland High School was built, the site was occupied by the 10th U.S. Cavalry for a month in 1898 during the Spanish American War. The first high school in Lakeland, The Academy, located on Tennessee Ave. between Lime and Orange, was made of wood and had burned down. In September 1902 the new brick building on Florida Ave. opened with 300 students. On June 9, 1927, a fire destroyed the main part of the structure, but it was immediately rebuilt and opened in October. When a new high school was built on Hollingsworth Rd. in 1952, the building housed Lakeland Junior High. It had several uses after that time until 1994 when it was renovated to house Lakeland Middle Academy, renamed Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in honor of the Lakeland native and Governor of Florida.
The Lakeland High School Collection contains primarily high school publications, including student newspapers and literary magazines. The publications include The Crescent, a combination newspaper and literary magazine published between 1913 and 1917, The Percolator, a newspaper published between 1922 and 1930, The Log Book, a literary magazine published in 1929-30,The Bagpipe, a newspaper published from 1939 to 2005, and the Tam O' Shanter, published from 1953 to 1988. Click on the titles to see PDF files of each publication.
There is also a 1906 view of the school in P100, Box 3, #19 and 7 photos, including the 1915 girls basketball team and 1917 graduation class, in P100 Oversize. There is a pennant in RG100, Oversize 8, newspaper articles in the Vertical File, and a published book - Lakeland High School 1889 - 1999, a Century of Success by Zita Stanley. We have phonograph records of the Band from 1978-79 (2 copies) and the 1957 Chorus. Audio tapes and one CD of Band Concerts are in RG4107, Box 4.
The collection is organized into five series as follows:
Series I: Subject Files
Series II: Publications
Series III: Class Reunions
Series IV: Memorabilia
Series V: National Register of Historic Places