Colonel Napoleon Bonaparte Bowyer commanded the 10th Virginia Cavalry, Army of Northern Virginia in the Civil War. He moved with his family to Lakeland, Florida in 1885. He was the city's third mayor. The first brick and masonry commercial building, built in 1902 on the corner of E. Pine St. and N. Kentucky Ave. bears his name today.
This collection, donated by Rev. James Hoge, consists of a short biography, photograph and a poem written by Col. Bowyer and is located in the Miscellaneous Manuscripts file.