This section primarily provides survey support for the design, right-of-way acquisition, construction layout and as-built drawings on all City Capital Improvement Projects.
It also serves various other Departments other than Public Works including Police, Electric, Wastewater, Water, Parks and Recreation, Community Development and the City Attorney's office which may require topographic and boundary surveys or land title research.
The Survey Section consists of one to two office personnel using Microstation and AutoCAD software on a personal computer; the section operates two survey crews utilizing state of the art equipment for electronic data collection in the field. The Survey Section is supervised by Richard Powell, P.L.S.; a state licensed Professional Land Surveyor.
Some of the services provided are:
1. Plat review and approval within corporate city limits submitted by developers. Some examples of notes can be found in
Subdivision Plat Notes.
2. Maintain and densify the existing horizontal and vertical control network for use by the private sector engineering/surveying firms working within the Lakeland service territory.
3. Right-of-way information for the general public along roadways and alleys.
4. Surveying pavement and building locations of new construction within the service territory for 911 to provide data for updating the Geographic Information System (GIS).
5. Stormwater inventory horizontal and vertical positioning.
6. Preparing legal descriptions for easements, right-of-ways and zoning.
For more information about the Survey and Mapping Section, please contact Richard Powell at (863) 834-6244.