FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Communications | City of Lakeland
228 S. Massachusetts Ave. Lakeland, FL 33801
863/834-6264 (PH) | www.lakelandgov.net
FLASHING YELLOW SIGNAL – BELLA VISTA & US98 INTERSECTION
LAKELAND, FL (September 12, 2013) -- A fully signalized traffic signal will be installed at Bella Vista Street and US 98 (North Florida Avenue). The City of Lakeland’s Department of Public Works will start the needed construction on September 9, 2013. The project is scheduled to take about one week to complete. Only one lane of traffic will be closed at any time in any direction. All work that requires lane closures will be done Monday – Friday between 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. The signal will incorporate a flashing yellow arrow for motorist making left hand turns. The flashing yellow arrow is a result of a national study conducted by the Federal Highway Administration, which demonstrated:
· The flashing yellow arrow is a safety measure to help prevent crashes.
· Moves more traffic through an intersection.
· Provides additional traffic management and flexibility.
· Provides a clear distinction so motorists know if they are protected from oncoming traffic.
The left hand turn lane on US 98 (North Florida Avenue) for both southbound and northbound traffic will feature the new flashing yellow arrow signal.
· A red arrow indicates traffic should stop and no left turns are allowed.
· A solid yellow arrow means prepare to stop or complete your left turn if you are in an intersection.
· A flashing yellow arrow means left hand turns are allowed but motorist need to yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians. The oncoming traffic has a green light.
· A green arrow means go and it is safe to make a left hand turn. Oncoming traffic must stop.
The Florida Department of Transportation is installing the flashing yellow arrow signals at various locations throughout the state on a case-by-case basis. The Bella Vista Street and US 98 (North Florida Avenue) intersection will be the first in Lakeland to feature the new traffic signal.