The Lakeland Police Department Explorer's Program is designed for young adults who are interested in Law Enforcement as a possible career choice. Explorers receive training at weekly meetings and specially scheduled training sessions. As an Explorer, you will be trained in all areas of law enforcement including:
· Traffic Stops
· Accident Investigations
· Crisis Intervention
· Domestic Violence
· First Aid
· Search and Arrest
. In Progress Calls
· Crime Scene Processing
· Criminal and State Statues
Also, each year Explorers compete in the State Explorers' Competition with other young adults from across Florida.
To be a member of the Explorer's program candidates must meet the following requirements:
· Be between the ages of 14 and 21
· Maintain a 2.0 GPA (in school or college prep courses)
· Pass a background check (no serious criminal history)
· Attend weekly meetings and other training/community functions
· Pass an oral review board conducted by the Advisors and Ranking Explorers
Explorer Meetings are held every Monday from 5:00PM until 8:00PM at the Lakeland Police Department Training Center located at 3131 Centurion Drive.
Explorers are also allowed to participate in ride-alongs with officers to learn and gain real-life experiences. Explorers must have reached the age of 15, completed the 40 hour Ride-Along Academy and have advisor approval.