From Polk County Emergency Management : Based on the current track and estimated time of arrival in Polk County of Hurricane Irma, the following public shelters will be open on Saturday, September 9th at 7 AM:
Lakeland Shelters (Alpha by Shelter Name):
- George Jenkins High School | 6000 Lakeland Highlands, Lakeland
- Kathleen High School | 1100 Red Devil Way, Lakeland
- Phillip O’Brien Elementary | 1255 E. Lime Street, Lakeland
- Phillip O’Brien is also a “pet friendly” shelter. Pet owners must bring shot records for their pets, an airline-approved carrying case or crate and pet food. Please read this flyer for complete info on pet-friendly shelters
- R. Bruce Wagner Elementary | 5500 Yates Road, Lakeland
- Sleepy Hill Elementary | 2285 Sleepy Hill Drive, Lakeland
- Tenoroc High School | 4905 Saddle Creek Road, Lakeland
Other Polk County Shelter Locations (Alpha by City):
- Auburndale High School | 1 Bloodhound Trail, Auburndale
- Bartow High School | 1270 S Broadway, Bartow
- Davenport School of the Arts | 4751 N CR 547, Davenport
- Horizons Elementary | 1700 Forest Lake Drive, Davenport
- Lake Region High School | 1995 Thunder Road, Eagle Lake
- LRHS is also a “pet friendly” shelter. Pet owners must bring shot records for their pets, an airline-approved carrying case or crate and pet food. Please read this flyer for complete info on pet-friendly shelters.
- Haines City High School | 2800 Hornet Drive, Haines City
- Spook Hill Elementary | 321 Dr. J.A. Wiltshire Avenue, E., Lake Wales
- Mulberry Middle School | 500 Martin Luther King Avenue, Mulberry
- Lake Marion Creek Elementary | 3055 Lake Marion Creek Road, Poinciana
- Donald Bronson Community Center | 124 Bronson Trail, Polk City
- Chain of Lakes Elementary | 7001 CR 653, Winter Haven
Special Needs Shelters
“Special Needs” Shelters will also open at 7 AM on Saturday, September 9th, for those residents with special medical needs. Polk County Emergency Management Special Needs Program is designed to provide shelter and/or transportation for residents with medical or physical conditions and/or dependent on medical electrical equipment who require assistance during an emergency.
“Special Needs” Shelters Locations:
- Polk County Health Department | 1255 Brice Boulevard, Bartow, FL
- Ridge Community High School | 500 W. Orchid Drive, Davenport, FL
- McKeel Academy | 1810 W Parker Street, Lakeland, FL
The only “pet friendly” shelters that will be open on Saturday at 7 AM will be at Lake Region High School, 1995 Thunder Road, Eagle Lake and Phillip O’Brien Elementary, 1255 E. Lime Street, Lakeland.
Pet owners must bring shot records for their pets, an airline-approved carrying case or crate and pet food.