In the event of a fire, having a working smoke alarm could mean the difference between life and death for you and your loved ones. Having properly installed and maintained smoke alarms will provide an early warning signal so you and your family can escape unharmed.
The Lakeland Fire Department offers free smoke alarms to those families who cannot afford them due to financial circumstances. However, to keep people from taking advantage of this program, we ask that you attest to the following:
* I am a resident of the City of Lakeland.
* I am the homeowner of the residence in which I reside.
* I am not renting nor leasing the residence in which I reside.
* I cannot otherwise afford to equip my home with smoke alarms. (Regular smoke alarms retail $7.00-&25.00 each; for the hearing impaired retail &100.00-$180.00 each)
* I am not using this residence for any commercial, business, or otherwise for profit purposes. (i.e. assisted living facility, day care, rental, etc.)
* I am responsible for requesting a replacement from the manufacturer and/or following the specified guidelines that occur as a consequence of a recall of the Kidde Dual Sensor Phot/Ion Smoke Alarm.
If you cannot attest to all of the statements above, you are not an eligible recipient of the Lakeland Fire Department's Smoke Alarm Program.