LFD Responds to Man Injured After Smoking While Using Medical Oxygen
Lakeland Man Injured After Smoking While Using Medical Oxygen
Lakeland --- At 1:32 PM, Sunday, March 2, 2014, the Lakeland Fire Department (LFD) responded to a medical call for a 57 year old male that sustained possibly life threatening burns to his face and hands.
The event took place at the Lakeland Presbyterian Apartments located at 530 S. Florida Ave, an independent living facility for senior residents. Investigation of the incident found that the male subject was utilizing home medical oxygen while smoking which created a flash fire near the patients face, leading to the sustained injuries.
The victim was transported by ground ambulance by Polk County Fire Rescue (PCFR) to a landing zone established by LFD at a field near the Lakeland Center off of Lime Street. The victim was flown by medical helicopter to Tampa General for treatment (photo of landing area attached).
No fire damage was sustained to the patient’s apartment and the incident did not require evacuation of any other residents.
This unfortunate incident, although quite tragic is a good opportunity to educate the public on the dangers of smoking or exposing any kind of flame or incendiary near highly explosive gases like oxygen. LFD would like to remind people to keep open flames away from medical gases, like medical oxygen, and any other flammable gases.
For more safety tips on how to prevent an incident like this, click here.