City Home  > Lakeland Police Department >LPD Blog

LPD News Blog


Stay informed with the Lakeland Police Department News Blog.

On December 26, 2014 at approximately 4:34 PM, the Lakeland Police Department received a medical call in which it was reported a subject was stuck in a tree and on fire. Further details were received indicating that a subject had been on a 30 foot ladder behind 1202 Shadow Drive trimming trees and was electrocuted by contacting a live power line. Lakeland Fire and Police units arrived on scene and confirmed that a male subject was suspended approximately 20 feet in the air in an obvious state of being electrocuted and deceased; he appeared to be secured by a safety harness. Lakeland Electric personnel responded to the scene and terminated electricity to the area. Lakeland Fire and Electric personnel worked together for some time to safely bring the victim to the ground.

Officers were able to interview one witness who advised that the subject had been trimming the trees at the request of the property manager for the complex during the past several days. He was using a long pole saw as well as a chain saw and was equipped with ropes and a safety harness. The witness advised that as the subject was maneuvering with the pole saw in hand(s), it struck a live power line immediately creating significant sparking and apparent electrocution. The witness immediately ran to his apartment to obtain his phone and call 911. 

Decedent: Marlin David Poutre,  9/13/54, 1439 Grace Street, Lakeland, Fla.



On December 27th, at 2:47 a.m., the Lakeland Police Department responded to an apartment complex at 810 East First Street in reference to a disturbance/fight . Officers attempted to stop a vehicle at the scene with potential suspects at which time the vehicle fled from the officer. As the vehicle turned onto N. Stella Avenue, it swerved at two Lakeland Police Officers who were on foot in the area breaking up the disturbance. Both officers were nearly hit by the fleeing suspect and they felt as if the vehicle intentionally tried to run over them. Officer Kristopher Conner, 26, fired one round at the vehicle hitting the hood as it approached him. The suspects continued to flee turning west bound onto Memorial Blvd and LPD Officers pursued. The driver jumped out of the vehicle as it was moving at 1045 N. Brunnell Parkway and the vehicle rolled into a duplex causing minor damage to the duplex and parked car.

Officers gave chase of the driver and he was apprehended a short distance away. During the foot chase, Officer Deangelo Anthony was bitten by a Police K-9 and transported to the Lakeland Regional Medical Center (LRMC). Officer Kristopher Conner received a fracture to his right arm during the apprehension of the driver and he was transported to LRMC.

The driver and two passengers were transported to LPD for questioning. They have not been identified at this time. The Violent Crimes Unit and State Attorney’s Office are investigating the shooting. An updated press release will be sent out this morning.


Driver – Ryan Young, 25 yrs of age, 630 Pear Street. Lakeland, Fla

Charges: 2cts of Aggravated Assault with Deadly Weapon (vehicle) and Aggravated Fleeing to Elude

Passengers – Released and not charged. 

Update from Officer Involved Shooting

From Kathryn Avenue

LAKELAND, FL (December 24, 2014)


The investigation is still ongoing at this time however here are a few more details from the officer involved shooting on December 22nd.

The involved officers are:

1.     SWAT team member - Officer Jason Gates, 30 yrs of age, employed for 2 ½ years.

2.     SWAT team member – Officer Jarrod Robinson, 25 yrs of age, employed for 2 yrs, 10 months.

3.     Officer Christopher Cintron, 34 yrs of age, employed for 4 ½ yrs.

4.     Sgt. Doug Brown, 40 yrs of age, employed for 13 yrs.

Per department policy, the officers will be placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation.

The handgun that James Monroe pointed at the officers was loaded with 9 rounds to include one round in the chamber. The handgun is described as a Smith & Wesson, 40 caliber, semi-automatic.

The officers fired a total of 31 rounds during the standoff. It is still unknown how many times Monroe was shot at this time as the autopsy has not been completed.

The deceased female, Susan Monroe, located in the house died as a result of a homicide. She had been shot once in the back of the head.

There is no additional information at this time.


On December 22, at 5:10 p.m., The Lakeland Police Department responded to 2804 Kathryn Avenue in reference to a male subject inside stating that someone had committed suicide. The suspect had notified an ex in-law who in return called the police department. Officers arrived on the scene at 5:10 p.m. and observed a male subject through the front window that was armed with a rifle.

The officers were able to make contact with the suspect via a cell phone and begin a dialog at which time the suspect repeatedly made threats that he wanted law enforcement to shoot him. During the incident, the Lakeland Police Department SWAT team responded to assist.  At approximately 11:00pm, the suspect was shot by four LPD officers after he exited the front door with a handgun. It is unknown at this time how many rounds were fired.

The identity of the suspect is not being released at this time until we confirm his identity. Another unidentified body has been located inside the residence deceased from a gunshot injury. Her identity has not been released. Please keep all of the families in your prayers as well as the officers who were forced to take a life in what is called, “Suicide by Cop”. 


The names of the deceased suspect and victim from 2804 Kathryn Avenue



Victim: Susan Monroe, DOB 5/22/57. 2804 Kathryn

Avenue, Lakeland, Fla


Suspect: James Arlen Monroe Jr , DOB 10/11/53.

2804 Kathryn Avenue, Lakeland, Fla.


On December 16th, the Lakeland Police Department responded to 2804 Kathryn Avenue after James Monroe complained of the DEA hiding in his attic. The wife, Susan Monroe felt he needed medication for his behavior. Because of the likelihood that without care or treatment, Monroe may cause serious bodily harm to himself as evident by his behavior, he was taken into custody and transported to the Lakeland Regional Medical Center for involuntary treatment under the Florida Baker Act.