APWA "About this years poster:
The 2014 National public Works Week theme, "Building for today, Planning for tomorrow" recognizes that what we do today is vital to a sustainable and vibrant tomorrow. Public works plays a key role in the planning, building and maintenance of infrastructure projects in their communities that will allow future generations to enjoy a higher quality of life."
Our next event will be held on May 16, 2014 in Munn Park.
Our Department is a member of the American Public Works Association (APWA). Every year APWA and its members participate in ‘National Public Works Week’ within their own communities. Public Works Week is nationally observed during the 3rd full week in the month of May. Past events have included proclamations from state governors and United States presidents. During Public Works Week, Cities and Counties around the United States and Canadian providences, participate in community outreach events with the citizens of their communities to provide education and information on local public works projects and responsibilities.
In 1996, we first began celebrating the National Public Works event at the Lakeland Mall. In 2004, we moved the event to Munn Park along with Downtown’s “Spring Walk-About”.
Our most recent National Public Works Week (NPWW) celebration was held in Munn Part at the Downtown Lakeland First Friday on May 3, 2013.
* Public Works showcased information about each division
* Registration for prize drawings from the various divisions was held
* Explanation of our education programs and
* Demonstrations of a variety of equipment in use
* Participation in children activities, give-a-ways and games
* Area shops and restaurants remained open late
* Music and entertainment was featured around the park
* Car show along Tennessee Ave.