Lakeland's municipal water supply has always come from our own wells. The City's water system has been continually improved since the first well was drilled in 1905. As part of a major system upgrade, the Williams Water Plant went into continuous operation in April of 1983. Thirteen wells drilled 750 feet (on average) into the Floridan aquifer provide the raw (untreated) water to the 51 million gallon per day capacity split-treatment plant.
Built in 2005 the C. Wayne Combee Plant has a treatment capacity of 8 Million Gallons Per Day. There are six wells that can withdraw water from the Floridan Aquifer and deliver it to the plant.